Kali Linux

Igor Gueths igueths at lava-net.com
Tue Apr 28 22:03:26 EDT 2015

On Tue, Apr 28, 2015 at 06:37:21PM -0700, Don Raikes wrote:
> Igor,
>
> I have been successful in getting kali to work on a virtual machine. The problem is that accessibility is not enabled by default.
> In fact, I am not sure that Speakup is built into kali. I tried to get the kali developers to build it in but I think it got dropped somewhere along the way.

So they would build Speakup into the installer but not into the actual
post-installed system? That doesn't make any sense.

> If I remember right, the system brings you to a gnome desktop and if you press alt+f2 to open the run dialog then type orca<enter> orca should start talking.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try on the version I have here and see if it
works.

> The only caveat to this is that if you installed it with another user, then you have to login first.  If you have a Braille display, you could press ctrl+alt+f1-6 and open a console window, enter root as the user and whatever the root password is then type brltty to launch brltty. After that you just need to adjust the /etc/default/brltty file so brltty starts automatically.

Yeah, unfortunately I lack a braille display so that's not a viable option.

> It has been a while since I used kali (maybe 4 or 5 months and I have been working on my own customized version. If I can ever get my custom iso to work, it will be accessible either installed or as a live boot image, but life has gotten in the way recently :-)
>
> If you have any other questions about kali, I am happy to help.

Yeah, pesky lives...Who needs one of those? Anyway, iirc I had mailed you
directly regarding Kali but perhaps that message got lost somewhere.

--
Igor

believed to be clean.