Connecting hardware synthesizer to speakup without serial port.

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Sun Apr 19 13:05:22 EDT 2015

It has nothing to do with when or whether the computer loads the driver
for the USB to serial adaptor.  It just doesn't support the
hardware-handshaking that speakup and the hardware synth need.

You might hear the effect that for the first few seconds it seems to
work but then goes silent.  I assume this is because speakup is waiting
for the hand-shake from the synth that indicates it has finished the
last chunk and is ready for more.

I had email once before about this privately from someone trying to use
a USB to serial adaptor and I recommended he install an RS232 serial
port card and that fixed his issues.

Mike

On 19/04/2015 17:10, Glenn / Lenny wrote:
> I have only used a USB to serial in Windows.
> But I thought that others had done it after the computer had gone through
> its initial screens.
> Glenn

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/