script to make patched ubuntu kernel

Shawn Kirkpatrick shawn at shawnk.ca
Wed Apr 15 19:26:22 EDT 2015

Since Ubuntu has a speakup-source package wouldn't it be easier to make this
script patch that rather than recompiling the whole kernel? This way
module-assistant could be used to install the speakup modules and then the
patch would stay in place accross kernel upgrades.
To take this a step further, it might be a good idea to have a script that
could bring the speakup sources up to the latest version and compile that.
I'm currently having this problem myself, the speakup modules that come with
ubuntu have some major problems but I'm not sure what sources they're using
or what is the latest speakup source. Is it the one in the kernel tree or
the one from the git repository? The problem is made worse by the speakup
version number not being updated and no change log seeming to be available.