Talking Arch Linux Installer

Joseph C. Lininger devnull-speakup at pcdesk.net
Wed Apr 15 07:06:35 EDT 2015

Gentoo's standard install CD talks. You just have to pass it the right
boot parameters. Specifically, what you want is speakup.synth=soft for
software speach. So you'd enter something like this:

gentoo speakup.synth=soft

You can, of course, add other boot parameters like dossh to activate
ssh. You can also substitute gentoo with gentoo-nofb if you don't want
the framebuffer console.

As for Slackware, I don't know how it works now. They used to have a
speakup kernel you had to use during the install. I created a custom
installation disc that had speakup in all kernels. That was years ago
though, and I have sense stopped distributing it. I don't know what
modern slackware does, but it should be easy enough to find out.
Joe