playing a tune at startup

Keith Wessel keith at wessel.com
Wed Apr 8 17:36:19 EDT 2015

I love that crazy idea! I have yet to get my USB to serial adapter working in Grub2 (need sighted assistance to finish the job as those of you on the Gentoo-accessability list saw me post last week). This would be great in the meantime and great if my USB to serial adapter wasn't around... and great for folks who don't want to bother setting up a serial terminal.

BTW, John, there's a slight bug in your script. The grub init tune and play routine accept a value of 0 as a rest and, if a very low value like 1 is used instead, rounds it up to something that can be played like a 20 or 40. The beep utility takesa  value below the lowest freq the speaker can play and converts it to a rest. As a result, the 1 I used as a rest in my tune was a rest with beep but a low grumble (sounded like a drumroll through a PC speaker) with Grub.

I'd suggest having the script accept values of 0 in the grub init tune and converting them to 1 before passing them to beep. That way, both Grub and beep would produce similar output.

If you pass a value of 0 to beep for the freq, it skips it.

Keith