Installing Debian 7.3 on Uefi, using latest Netinst ISO

Marcel Oats moats at orcon.net.nz
Sun Jan 12 19:03:28 EST 2014

Hi, the usual sorry if it's been posted before and all that, I have browsed
the archives and haven't really found anything, or maybe haven't been
looking in
the right place.
I have Gigabyte's Z87X-UD5H board in a new system, and want to have linux on
it as well as Win8.1.  This is the first board we have come across which
does not feature a legacy boot option; i.e. it only supports efi boot
partitions, though it will boot to an mbr partition after a lengthy pause.
I came across this situation before when booting the cd, but we were able to
boot the disk in legacy mode and give it the S parameter to start speakup
and install normally on another machine.
Here I cannot, though I can connect a braille display and use that during
the install.  When typing s followed by ENTER, the braille is running the
text installer but there is no speech.
I understand the EFI boot loader is different and so forth, but am wondering
if something is not being passed correctly?
It's just the usual Realtec soundcard and so forth, which seems to be
supported no problem on other machines, but USB audio doesn't work here
either, and I remember reading a year or so ago that this part was broken in
uefi mode; is this correct?
Interestingly (and I know this doesn't work but actually wonder why) if we
make a bootable USB with this netinst ISO, the machine boots from that, we
get the beep, but there is no speech.  The interesting thing, is that if we
boot it on another machine which comes up talking when I boot the cd on it,
the USB version of the same installer does not speak.  It works, but no
speech.
I'm alright with braille during the install if I have to be, but when
completed it doesn't speak when the new system is booted, so what is the
best way of getting speakup running on the system so as I can access the
CLI?

Thanks for any help.
Marcel