Speakup available? (wasRE: patched debian kernels)

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sat Feb 15 15:56:00 EST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 11:45:42AM -0500, Albert Sten-Clanton wrote:
> Second, I tried this week to use both the Debian live CD (7.2, I think) and
> the 32-64-bit install CD, 7.3 if I remember right.  As I understand the
> installation guide, I should be able to get speakup, at least on the latter,
> by typing the letter s at the boot prompt and hitting ENTER.  It didn't
> work.  I tried arrowing to the right option, but that also failed.  I tried
> lower and upper case.  I tried with both the live CD and the net-installer
> one.

Yes, this is correct. With either 32-bit or 64-bit wheezy netinst iso,
you boot up, wait a few seconds, hit lower case s, enter, and you
should get software speech. I don't recall, but I do think you even
get a beep through your pc speaker when it's time to type s and enter,
but I could be wrong there.

> If it's a case of muted sound, how would I fix that?  (The usual
> amixer command that I use to raise the volume did nothing.) I've so far
> found no help with this through Google searches, even though I know there
> has been some correspondence about Weezy and Speakup.

I'm not sure if the netinst disk has amixer on it. When speech comes
up on that iso, you're in the first console, which is the
installer. If you want to try various commands to see if they do
anything, hit alt+right-arrow to go to the second console, and press
enter to activate that console. Once you do that, you'll be at a
busybox shell prompt.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net