hardware speech synthesizer linux kernel interface

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 1 12:25:40 EDT 2013

I've only been able to get speakup working on ttyS0 with the linux kernel
on slackware current.  If I move the litetalk over to ttyS1, I don't get
speech while attempting to run a slackware installation disk once lilo has
come up talking.  Did the linux kernel implementation not take into
account that litetalk synthesizer module can search for a litetalk on
ports greater than ttyS0?  I found this out while trying to build
schroedinger.SlackBuild earlier.  Now the only alternative for this will
be to get speech going out over the sound card and hope schroedinger
doesn't also crash the sound card when I try to build the package.