donna.aitkens donna.aitkens at northumbria.ac.uk
Wed Oct 2 15:29:34 EDT 2013

Hello.

This may seem a little basic.  I'm running a virtual machine with a Debian based distro of Linux with the Orca screenreader for the desktop environment but some of the aplications for my course at University require access to the text console/CLI.  I am wondering how I would go about loading speakup once I have switched to the Text console.  I have checked and the packages are installed, includig the espeak synth which is the one I would like to use with speakup when loaded.  I did a little experimentation buy editing a file and adding the command to load speakup from the boot prompt but it just continiously kept reading the system log and I could not interupt the speech, is there a way to avoid this and only load speakup when its needed?
This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.