speakup & orca in debian 7

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Nov 1 22:17:03 EDT 2013

I got it working on my debian 7 (wheezy) system. Here is what I did:

apt-get remove espeakup espeak
apt-get install libpulse-dev libsonic-dev
apt-get source espeak
cd espeak-1.6.42/src/
[edit Makefile as describe below]
make
make install

cd ../../
apt-get install espeakup
cd espeakup-0.71/
make
make install

modprobe speakup-soft
espeakup
Viola!

Notes:
1. I couldn't figure out how to get the debian espeakup package to work
with my custom compiled version of speakup. You can't install espeakup
w/o the espeak package.
2. The apt-get source command downloads the source for the debian
package into the current working directory.