speakup & orca in debian 7

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Fri Nov 1 20:22:21 EDT 2013

Here is what I did:

Edit the Makefile and find the section which reads like this:

# 'runtime' uses pulseaudio if it is running, else uses portaudio
#AUDIO = runtime
AUDIO = portaudio
#AUDIO = portaudio0
#AUDIO = portaudio2
#AUDIO = pulseaudio
#AUDIO = sada

And simply change it to read thusly:

# 'runtime' uses pulseaudio if it is running, else uses portaudio
#AUDIO = runtime
#AUDIO = portaudio
#AUDIO = portaudio0
#AUDIO = portaudio2
AUDIO = pulseaudio
#AUDIO = sada

As you can see I just commented out portaudio and uncommented pulseaudio.

I'm pretty sure that's all I did.  If you get errors about libraries
just install what you have missing.

I am currently having trouble configuring pulseaudio to autospawn
properly on the Raspberry Pi.

But I hope if I can get it to work switching from portaudio to
pulseaudio will solve all the latency issues and crashes we currently
have with Arch on the Pi.

We have SpeakUp and Emacspeak running with eSpeak on Arch on the Pi but
have had to blacklist firmware and newer versions of sound drivers
because of a change to the driver which introduced some latency problems.

The other way to make SpeakUp use pulse would be to ditch espeakup and
use speechd-up to connect it to speech-dispatcher but I haven't had much
success with speechd-up on Arch either on x86 or on the Pi.

Mike