speakup & orca in debian 7

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Fri Nov 1 16:37:21 EDT 2013

If there is a way to use dmix to augment/replace pulse, I'd love to
know about it. The problem here is that espeakup uses alsa directly
instead of going through pulse. The only two ways I can think of to
fix this would be either to be able to run espeakup as a normal user,
which should force it to use pulse by virtue of opening alsa as a
regular user from what I understand, or to add pulse support to
espeakup. Actually, espeak uses portaudio if I remember right, so maybe it's
as simple as portaudio supporting pulse.

Greg

On Sat, Nov 02, 2013 at 04:52:48AM +0900, Devon Stewart wrote:
> Isn't there a way to use alsa's dmix plugin to either replace, or at least augment, pulse? Also, this is assuming that Alsa is being used from the CLI.
>
> -Devon
>
> On 2013/11/02, at 4:41, "John G. Heim" <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:
>
> > If I kill pulseaudio, do I still get speech with orca?
> >

> > On 11/01/13 14:23, Trevor Astrope wrote:
> >> Are you using software speech with both speakup and orca? I've had this
> >> problem with sound not working on the command line after running orca.
> >> In my case, gnome/orca started a pulseaudio process running as my user,
> >> even though I have pulseaudio and speechd-up configured to run as a
> >> system daemon.
> >>
> >> Killing the pulseaudio process running as my user gets sound back. You
> >> may need to restart speechd-up service as well, as I sometimes have a
> >> problem with this too, but I usually use hardware speech, so I don't
> >> remember the scenario where that is necessary to do as well.

> > --
> > ---
> > John G. Heim, 608-263-4189, jheim at math.wisc.edu

web site: http://www.gregn..net