speakup & orca in debian 7

Trevor Astrope astrope at tabbweb.com
Fri Nov 1 15:23:33 EDT 2013

Are you using software speech with both speakup and orca? I've had this
problem with sound not working on the command line after running orca. In
my case, gnome/orca started a pulseaudio process running as my user, even
though I have pulseaudio and speechd-up configured to run as a system
daemon.

Killing the pulseaudio process running as my user gets sound back. You may
need to restart speechd-up service as well, as I sometimes have a problem
with this too, but I usually use hardware speech, so I don't remember the
scenario where that is necessary to do as well.