Accessible image backup and restore program?

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun May 26 16:03:07 EDT 2013

To backup/restore drive partitions, I use grml for the livecd, which
has software speech via espeakup as Kirk already indicated. To do the
actual backup/restore of partitions, I use partition image. Doing:

man partimage

will tell you what you need to know. If you're dealing with ntfs
partitions, there is also ntfsclone from the ntfsprogs package, which
is installed on the grml cd. I can tell you from personal experience
that ntfsclone works nicely if you're trying to recover data from a
damaged drive. On the other hand, partimage bombs as soon as it
encounters the first i/o error while reading the partition in question.

If I want to backup/restore the partition table, I use sfdisk, which
grml includes also. Hope that answers your questions somewhat.

Greg

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 01:13:51PM -0400, Jayson Smith wrote:
> A bit off-topic here, but somewhat related to Linux.
>
> For several years, I've been using Image for Windows/Linux as my
> Windows backup/restore solution. I liked it because, in case of
> total boot drive failure where the system was completely unbootable,
> I could boot up Image for Linux which includes Speakup, use my
> DECtalk Express, and restore. Now, though, I've upgraded to Windows
> 7, and my computer has exactly zero serial ports. So I can't use my
> old boot CD any more, unless it would work with a USB to serial
> convertor.
>
> What do you recommend for a bootable, accessible backup and restore
> solution? Does whatever you recommend use software speech? I don't
> assume anyone's come up with an accessible bootable Windows CD? Does
> such a bootable CD work with USB sound devices? Also, in all our
> computers, there's an internal sound card we're not actively using
> in Windows. Would any Linux CD try to use that first?
> Thanks for any thoughts!
> Jayson

web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1