Is speechd-up broken in debian 7 or do I need to do something not obvious

Joseph Norton joseph.norton at gmail.com
Sun May 19 09:05:44 EDT 2013

Hi:

In Debian 7, speakup is using espeakup to run.

I'm trying to change to speechd-up so I can run toxin with it.

Here's what I'm doing:

First, I do an apt-get install speech-dispatcher

Everything seems to work ok.  I edited /etc/default/speech-dispatcher to say "RUN=yes"

Then, i did apt-get install speechd-up.

I got a bunch of errors.  Here's what happened (see below).  Any ideas on how to make the system happy?

Reading package lists...
Building dependency tree...
Reading state information...
  speechd-up
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 42.4 kB of archives.
After this operation, 111 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian/ wheezy/main speechd-up i386 0.5~20110719-2 [42.4 kB]
Fetched 42.4 kB in 0s (62.5 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package speechd-up.
(Reading database ... 26552 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking speechd-up (from .../speechd-up_0.5~20110719-2_i386.deb) ...
Processing triggers for install-info ...
Setting up speechd-up (0.5~20110719-2) ...
Starting Interface between speakup and speech-dispatcher : speechd-up[Sun May 19 09:02:17 2013] speechd: Configuration has been read from "/etc/speechd-up.conf"
Starting speechd-up...
To work, speechd-up needs speakup and speakup_soft modules.
They are loaded automatically. If you don't want, type
rmmod speakup speakup_soft
 failed!
invoke-rc.d: initscript speechd-up, action "start" failed.
dpkg: error processing speechd-up (--configure):
 speechd-up