Serial ports with 32-bit vs. 64-bit processors

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Thu May 16 10:59:17 EDT 2013

Are you saying you can't get your doubletalk to work at all or only if
you load the speakup_sot module before loading the speakup_ltlk module?
I don't know if I've ever tried that. But  I have a 64 bit machine
running squeeze and another running wheezy. Speakup works with my
doubletalk on either  machine if I load the speakup_ltlk module
directly. On the squeeze, I'm running a kernel from squeeze-backports
and on the wheezy machine, I'm running the stock kernel. Here  is what
uname -r says on each;
squeeze: 3.2.0-0.bpo.4-amd64
wheezy: 3.2.0-4-amd64

My doubletalk also works with the 64-bit grml live CD.   As I said, I'm
not entirely sure I ever tried loading the speakup_ltlk module after
speakup_soft. I would have to say that I have though because I put
speakup_soft in /etc/modules so it loads during boot.