Windows bashing was: Re: Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sat May 11 20:35:13 EDT 2013

On Sat, May 11, 2013 at 01:13:16AM -0700, Tony Baechler wrote:
> AVG is now pretty much dead and it
> was the antivirus which totally made my machine come to a complete stop at
> 8 AM daily.  OK, it turned out that it's a scheduling "feature" which is
> part of AVG, but I couldn't turn it off.  I could change when it ran, but
> no matter what, it was going to do a full virus scan every day whether I
> liked it or not.  So much for me controlling the machine, but that's
> typical Windows behavior.

What do you mean when you say that AVG is pretty much dead? I use
AVG-free on one of my machines here, and it still seems to be very
much alive. It has definition updates daily as far as I can tell. It
also seems to come out with a minor version upgrade about every half a
year, and with a major version upgrade about once a year.

As far as your box locking up, you must have been running on a very old
machine. I'm running AVG-free 2013 on a 2.2GHz pentium IV single core with no
hyperthreading, and one gig of RAM. The machine doesn't fly while
doing virus scanning, but it's still quite useable, and fairly
responsive. As far as scheduling full virus scans, it is possible to
schedule both how often AVG-free runs them, and at what time of day. I
have mine scheduled to run once a week for instance. Guess what? You
can even turn off full virus scanning completely if you don't want it
to run at all on any schedule.

I'm not trying to defend AVG-free. Like many things, it isn't
perfect. I do know from personal experience though that your
statements above aren't correct regarding the latest version of
AVG-free. As far as controlling your machine, I'll admit that windows
doesn't give you as much control as GNU/Linux does. Having said that,
I still maintain that windows, and AVG-free give the user quite a bit
of control. I would say it gives the user more control than it
doesn't. It's just a matter of knowing what to set, and where, and the
internet is your friend here if your own knowledge comes up short.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net
skype: gregn1