Voxin was: Re: Switching to Linux

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Fri May 10 12:09:37 EDT 2013

I agree. I am extremely hearing impaired and I can only understand about 2
out of 3 words when using espeak. When I heard that there was an
eloquence-sounding voice available for linux, I jumped at it. I didn't
quibble at the cost since having a nice, clear voice I could understand was
more important to me than six bucks. It is a crying shame that nobody's
doing anything with the via voice or eloquence anymore, but still hanging on
to the source code greedily so that nobody can update it.

I use voxin with speech-dispatcher and speechd-up and i am able to work very
well in my terminal with those tools. I avoid pulseAudio like the plague
since from what I hear you can't have speech in console without jumping
through weird hoops. I don't really see what the advantage of PulseAudio is
anyway, except something about having per user audio settings or something
like that. Since I'm the only user, I don't need that, and alsa works just
fine.