Source

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Fri May 10 07:22:58 EDT 2013

Kirk,

Thanks, I'll take a look at the web stuff in a few days.  In the
meantime I've now got some more to go on with finding the reason for the
crash on the Raspberry Pi...

Yesterday I got a serial console cable through the post.  I connected it
to the UART on a Raspberry Pi and for the first time have been able to
trap the 'kernel oops' that occurs when SpeakUp crashes.

I get an 'unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at' error.

Next I just need to learn how to use kdb, kgdb, gdb or a combination of
all three to debug where this crash is occurring. As yet I don't know
how to be able to trace back through the source to find the error.  I
could just put a bunch of 'printk' calls in the source I guess but I am
not sure if that will slow things down too much.

I am following the forwarded messages from the kernel guys with
interest.  It is good to see that there still efforts to push things
forward.  I'd also be happy to do some of the clean-up tasks.  I've
written tons of Perl in my time and it strikes me that changing some of
the variable names and stuff could be automated.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/