Switching to Linux

Rob Hudson captinlogic at gmail.com
Thu May 9 14:06:49 EDT 2013

My problem with gnome/orca is that it is extreeeemely slow. If there was a
way to strip out most of the unnessential stuff in gnome, I'd probably use
it more often. I'm talking about almost thirty seconds to launch firefox, as
an example. Under XP on the same system, it only takes maybe five to ten
seconds. Granted, I haven't used gnome outside of vinux and i haven't really
played around much with default gnome as installed from source or package
management, so maybe it's just me. Or maybe it's orca that's slow, I just
don't know.

Working in the terminal on the other hand is very snappy. I get no lag, and
everything just responds nice and fast. I get about a fifteen second boot
time, whereas with xorg installed it takes about forty five seconds. There's
three gigs of memory on the box in question and I think a 2.0 ghz processor.
So, unless i can find a way to make gnome faster i won't be using it.