the direction of speakup

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Wed May 8 18:06:33 EDT 2013

NVDA is a Windows screen-reader.  It doesn't do any screen-scraping or
video interception.  What it uses is the operating systems underlying
MSAA (Microsoft Active Accessibility( and UIA (User Interface
Automation) subsystems.

afik there is no single accessibility system in Linux.  GTK has the ATK
(Accessibility Toolkit) which I believe a few of the graphical tools
hook into.

Has anyone on the list used yasr (yet another screen-reader)?  I tried
this on the Pi and it crashed every ten minutes.

yasr uses a pseudo-terminal to keep track of screen-updates and cursor
movement etc.

Mike

On 08/05/2013 21:44, Hart Larry wrote:
> Just a speculative thought.  Doesn't NVDA talk without video drivers?
> Hart

Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Witley, Surrey, South-east UK

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/