the direction of speakup

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed May 8 11:03:13 EDT 2013

I totally disagree. Speakup has little purpose except for the fact that
it runs in kernel space. First of all, there are other screen readers
for user space. And you really need a GUI these days. I suppose there
are people using speakup all day every day. Mutt for email, lynx or
edbrowse for the web. But I'm sure  the vast majority of linux users use
orca for every day tasks.

The most important feature for speakup is to bail you out when you are
really in trouble because your server is down. I don't know what you do
for a living but I do systems admin and I cannot live without speakup in
kernel space. About the only thing that I can think of that is
equivalent to simply plugging in a hardware synth and getting boot
messages would be setting up something like a Raspberry Pie to boot into
kermit and display serial console messages. But it wouldn't be the same
because you'd need a keyboard for the RPI.   I don't know -- when a
server is down, the last thing I want to do is mess with all that stuff.
I just want to plug in the hardware speech synth and press the print
screen key.