Intro

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Fri May 3 14:29:57 EDT 2013

Hello Gene,

Thanks for the welcome.

Although I have SpeakUp running in Raspbian, there are some serious
stability issues.  Sometimes the tty I'm logged in to crashes and
occasionally the kernel crashes, or I assume it does as once this
happens there's no way I can tell what has happened.

In getting this far I have had to look at the source quite closely and I
noticed the changes over the last few years following some fundamental
kernel changes.

It looks to me as if a lot of the distros are making patches to the
source and these patches don't seem to find their way back to the
SpeakUp source repo.

In an effort to solve the stability issues in the Pi kernel version
3.6.11 I took the SpeakUp source from kernel.org's 3.8.11 tree but it
doesn't seem to have solved the problem.

I don't know if these stability problems are specifically Raspberry Pi
problems, possibly relating to the lower resources on the little
machine, or whether SpeakUp is unstable in some desktop distros.

Opinions and any help would be welcomed.

Mike