Debian wheezy taling installer?

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Sun Mar 31 12:36:37 EDT 2013

Yes, I can confirm that Pulse Audio is a total pain in the ass!  I
just spent the past two days trying to get a combination of parms that
would enable normal ALSA and Pulse to function at the same time
without one clobbering access to sound hardware by anything else.
This was on my Arch Linux system.  I found some info on the Arch wiki
explaining how to alter the /etc/pulse/default.pa to enable all this.

But for Debian, you ought to be able to get software speech going at
the console level and just leave gnome completely out of the way.
Then work on speech dispatcher and get that verified with the spd-say
command.  then perhaps staart messing with gnome and only run it with
the startx command from a native console.

I know these ideas are brief and I'm sure you may run into problems
with conflicts but at least, follow that general sequence of events
and maybe some more progress can be made.