Screen help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Sun Mar 31 05:47:19 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I know some of you here use the "screen" package.  I'm having a slight
annoyance and I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.  First, I don't like tmux
because it seems to use more memory and shows an annoying clock which seems
to interfere with console output.  It reads the time when the clock is
updated and makes it hard to review what's on the screen.  I'm sure there is
a way around this, but Screen is older and more established, so that's what
I use here.

What I want to do is always have Screen start when I log into a shell.  It
doesn't need to start for subshells since I can create new windows as
needed.  If I already have a detached session, I would like it to reattach
automatically.  I added a line to /etc/bash_profile so it would start for
all users which is what I want.  The problem is that it always launches a
new shell when I log in, so I have to log out twice.  I first press ^D which
ends the Screen session and ^D again to actually close my ssh connection.
Is there a way that I don't have to do this?  I could make screen my shell,
but I don't know if that's a good idea.  What do other people do?  I read
the man page and I don't see a way to get Screen to become the parent shell
without launching a new shell when it starts.

Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.