Now I can't Keep Pulseaudio From Taking over Everything!

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Mar 29 16:49:22 EDT 2013

Good pointer.  I went through /usr/share/alsa-plugins and found a file
that defaults modules to pulse and a package offered in ArchLinux
called pulseaudeio-alsa provides a single file that goes into
/etc/asound.conf with all references to pulse being commented out.  I
think the original intent was that this file would cause alsa to go
back to using itself instead of pulse.  But the file I mentioned
earlier seems to take precedence so what I think I need to do is
uncomment everything in /etc/asound.conf and change the destination
modules from pulse to alsa.  I will try this over the weekend and see
if that clears things up.  the giv-away was since I made pulseaudio
binary non-executible, I got some interesting pulse related errors
whenever I ran the emacspeak espeak server.  I think I'm almost out of
the woods with this pulse audio mess.

I guess the bottom line question though is how we can have pulse audio
available for things like gnome but keep espeak tied only to alsa so
it won't collide with pulse and kill speech for speakup.