Red Hat Enterprise 6.2

John G. Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Fri Mar 29 12:48:27 EDT 2013

I've been on the linux kernel list and there is no way that speakup is
going to get out of staging without a rewrite. The people on the list
kept asking me why speakup can't run in user space and stuff like that.
The idea that speakup is for blind people like  video output is for
sighted people was completely foreign.  How would you like it if your
monitor was blank until the system finished booting? Would you consider
that adequate? They didn't have an answer for that. But I'll admit that
  I don't understand exactly what their problems are with the speakup code.

It doesn't matter though because Red Hat's  solution doesn't have to
involve speakup. It would be nice if it did though.