Goofy Characters

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Fri Mar 29 06:03:57 EDT 2013

This might have been discussed in the past but I can't remember the solution.  It seems that I'm getting a bunch of weird extended ASCII characters when boxes are drawn on the screen like when using elinks and you open dialogs Speakup has all kinds of descriptions for these special characters but it nearly makes elinks and similar programs very unpleasant to use.  On my ArchLinux box, there is a locale configuration where we choose character sets.  I have utf8-en_US and iso-8859-1 also.  I think I have that number right.  Do I need to change that entry to something else or is there something in speak up I can change?  One idea I may try is to turn down the verbosity but I still wanna hear basic punctuation but perhaps mute these extended characters.

Any ideas?