Getting ALSA and Pulse to Play Nice

Steve Holmes steve at holmesgrown.com
Wed Mar 27 13:02:08 EDT 2013

I decided lately to get pulse audio another chance and see if thing
improved some on my Arch Linux box.  Well, I got it to work up to a
point where Speech Dispatcher was autospawning and using pulseaudio
with little trouble.  But then as I went on to use speakup with its
normal default espeak configuration, I lost speech completely.  I
could use paplay to play a wave file thru pulseaudio but still, no
console speech for speakup.  Further after a reboot, I thought things
were going to be OK but as soon as I tried out emacspeak using the
espeak server, I lost speech again and this time, the asound.state
file got overwritten and I wondered why for several hours I couldn't
get any speech out of my computer.  Then it occured to me to replace
the asound.state file with an old one I had and disabled all
pulseaudio support for now and I finally got speakup working again.

Are there any suggestions on how to have both ALSA and PulseAudio
going at the same time so I can use speakup in the console and gnome
whenever I want? I usually start gnome with the startx command and I
understand it has to have Pulse running in order to get any gnome
sound effects.

What might I be missing here?