Speakup not in Ubuntu 13.04

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Mon Mar 18 04:54:40 EDT 2013

This is very interesting.  When I ran "modinfo speakup" I was told that
there was no Speakup modules and got an error.  It was the same generic
3.8.0 kernel.  The only thing I can think of is that I was running on Amazon
EC2 and perhaps the cloud images for EC2 don't include the Speakup modules,
which would make sense I suppose.  Why they would use the same generic
kernel without including the Speakup modules is a little odd to me though
since you can use RDP to get the speech on your local system.  Ah well,
thanks for the correction.  This is good to know.  I haven't looked at any
other images.  Now I'm wondering why they include the 3.1.6 modules in the
kernel but they package the 3.1.5 source.