reccommended email client with speakup

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Fri Jun 28 23:11:16 EDT 2013

Mike Ray <mike at raspberryvi.org> writes:

> Don,
>
> Not strictly SpeakUp, but you could try installing Emacspeak and use
> the gnus package (part of Emacs by default).

I'm also a gnus fan.  It has a bit of a learning curve, but it is quite
capable.

I used to really love nmh, which is a suite of tools for mail handling.
Instead of working inside a monolithic email program, the nmh user
manipulates their email using various small shell commands.
It's a totally different paradigm.
Unfortunately, it doesn't play all that well with typical modern mail
configurations.  For instance, I keep my mail on a VPS,
and I read it with IMAP, rather than pulling it down to my local machine.
If you're willing to read mail from the shell on your mail server, or
you're willing to pull it down to the local machine using getmail or
fetchmail, then nmh works beautifully.

-- Chris