starting speakup with grml

Kirk Reiser kirk at reisers.ca
Fri Jun 14 08:10:50 EDT 2013

Hi Gene: In the newer grml images they don't try to start speakup
under script control. You wait for the boot up period to complete,
which is usually indicated by a beedly-bop set of tones from the PC
speaker. At that point you are at a menu asking about your choice of
network options or something like that. If you just hit return it'll
drop to a shell prompt, not bash, at which point you can type modprobe
speakup_soft or whatever synth you want. Then start espeakup by hand
if software synth was what you chose.

On Fri, 14 Jun 2013, acollins at icsmail.net wrote:

> Hello all.  I'm having problems starting speakup on grml.  I'm using the
> grml32-full_2013.02.iso disk that I just downloaded yesterday.  Looking
> at the grml-cheatcodes, I find nothing related to speech.   When I boot
> the stick, and try to start speakup with modprobe and then run espeakup,
> nothing happens.  What magic am I missing?
>
> Gene Collins

Well that's it then, colour me gone!