UPS backup musings

acollins at icsmail.net acollins at icsmail.net
Thu Jun 13 18:37:54 EDT 2013

Hi Graig.  The software you want is called apcupsd.  As a part of its
configuration, it let's you specify the amount of grace time before it
forces the system to do a graceful shut down when the ups battery is
getting low.  There are two types of ups hardware.  They either connect
via a serial port, or a usb cable.  The connection type is specified in
the config file.  When the software is started, it finds the connection
type in the config file, and then attemps to establish either a serial,
or a usb connection with the ups, depending on which connection type is
specified.  The ups comunicates with the software running on the
computer, informing it of the ups status, online, or running on battery.
 If it is running on battery, it also informs the software of how much
battery life is left.  When the ups gets to the grace time before a
shutdown is needed, it informs the software, which sends email to all
users on the system warning them to log off, because a system shutdown
is pending.  The config file is well commented, and the documentation is
very good.  Before you try to install the software or even buy a ups, I
strongly urge you to rtfm.  This is a project where you really want to
know what you are doing, and what you are looking for, before you buy ,
and install.  As a part of the manual, the softare has a list of makes
and models of upss that it supports.

The wattage of the ups controls how long the ups can power your system on
battery power.  The more hardware you plug in the the ups, the less time
it can provide power for everything that is connected.  A good unit will
be able to power your computer for two to 3 hours, or more, depending on
how good an ups you bought.  Usually, the higher the price, the more
battery life.

I hope this helps.

Gene Collins