restoring alsa defaults

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Jun 10 23:58:04 EDT 2013

Tony Baechler <tony at baechler.net> wrote:
> Look at your alsa.conf.  You might have to comment out the old card and
> make sure the new card is the first one selected.

In my configuration, at least, there are options in
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf that prevent USB sound cards from being
recognized as card 0. Given that you're dealing with the on-board sound
device, this shouldn't be an issue though in the present case.

> Also, you didn't say
> what chipset you have, but you might need non-free firmware.  On Debian,
> that requires adding the package with your firmware module and making sure
> it's loaded by the kernel.  With USB sound, for example, the default is to
> always have it listed as the second card and never use it as the primary
> sound device.

Starting from the basics would help, too: see if aplay -l lists the card (it
should be listed as card 0 if it's the only one). After that, move on to
amixer settings.