SpeakUp running in Arch on the Raspberry Pi!

Mike Ray mike at raspberryvi.org
Thu Jun 6 22:49:59 EDT 2013

Hello list,

I have now got SpeakUp running in Arch Linux on the Pi.

A couple of days ago I did a kernel compile for Arch, including the
SpeakUp modules and tried using it in the Emacspeak enabled Arch install
we have on the Raspberry VI web site for download.

The audio was totally screwed up and buzzy but it did not crash.

So I went away and did some more reading about why my modules were never
found when I just copied across the modules and not the full
installation.  I didn't know about depmod.  Now I do, and now it works!

This leads me to believe there must be something running on Raspbian
(based on Debian Wheezy) that is causing SpeakUp to cause a kernel
oops.  Maybe a watchdog process or something.

Anyway, we now have an Arch install which can run both Emacspeak and
SpeakUp on the Raspberry Pi.  A victory for accessibility.  The fact
that the Broadcom sound module is broken for tts means we have to keep
the old one but as we don't want low-latency HDMI sound that is not a
big issue.

Mike

--
Michael A. Ray
Analyst/Programmer

Interested in accessibility on the Raspberry Pi?
Visit: http://www.raspberryvi.org/