Latest Chapter in the Quest for Orca

Martin G. McCormick martin at server1.shellworld.net
Tue Jun 4 10:42:52 EDT 2013

	I understand now what you were telling me. What I did is
similar in effect. If I want a boot without gnome starting, I
went to /etc/rc2.d and did mv S19gdm3 _S19gdm3 which takes the
gdm3 starter script out of the list. I could then reboot without
gnome.

	I next turned off speakup via the number pad, remotely
logged in so as to know exactly what was happening and put
S19gdm3 back then issued the /etc/rc2.d/gdm3 start command. I
never heard anything, waited a couple of minutes and logged in
to the silent console with my user name and password and orca
then belatedly said "Welcome to orca" and died as always. In
other words, same behavior.

	I did download the new vinux4.0 disk and it is the first
release of vinux since way back in 2009 to come up alive and
working.

	This is a 2.7-GHZ Pentium4 with a gigabyte of RAM but it
has been picky about sound not working on just about every ubuntu
and Debian distribution I have handed it since I got it in 2011.
It would run the obsolete stuff like Vinux2.0 just fine but no
vinux3.x or ubuntu recent versions.

	The speakup-enabled kernel in Debian wheezy does work
great on this system after complaining about sound as it comes
up.

	I think what I will probably do is install vinux for now
as I am getting tired with this two-year cybur version of
"Ground Hog Day." A new version comes. I burn a CD. I put it in
the Pentium4 system, boot and nothing good happens. Usually,
nothing happens at all.

	At least Debian Wheezy is just before working, I think.

	I realize the gnome booting process with speech requires
an amazing number of dominoes to fall in just the right order
and the OS has to figure out what kind of hardware it is
building on so I am amazed it ever works for anybody.

	I will probably not whack it again and try to install
vinux until this weekend so is there any system logs I can
create and send to anybody which will help the cause along?

	It is so close, but not quite there in the standard and
netinst CD.

	We have sound, now, and I think the problem lies in the
way orca and gnome initialize. the Speakup part is now perfectly
good as far as I can tell.