UNS: instructions for doing an eyes-free install of chromevox on Linux

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Wed Jul 31 11:48:37 EDT 2013

Janina Sajka <janina at rednote.net> writes:

> Because Chrome is self-voicing with Chrome Vox, Orca (and
> Speech-Dispatcher/Espeak) should be disabled while Chrome has focus.

The easiest solution is to disable Orca temporarily.
AFAIK, there's no way to silence Speech Dispatcher.  If you're using it
as the output method for chromevox, you wouldn't want to do that anyway.
I think there might be a way to customize Orca so that Orca is disabled
when self-voicing apps like chromevox have focus.  If there is, don't
use it right now.  Chromevox does not (yet) speak some browser dialogs.
These can be read with Orca, however.  Just enable it temporarily to
read them.  Yes, it's annoying!

Here's my current setup.
I run chromium + chromevox under a lightweight window manager,
ratpoison.  Chromevox uses Speech Dispatcher with eSpeak for speech.
Yes, I'm not taking the perfectly sound advice I just gave in the
previous paragraph, since I'm running without a desktop environment, and
hence, without Orca.

HTH,
-- Chris