instructions for doing an eyes-free install of chromevox on Linux

Chris Brannon chris at the-brannons.com
Mon Jul 29 20:52:37 EDT 2013

It's not directly relevant to Speakup, but I suspect that a lot of the
people on this list will be interested.
Reposted from the chromevox discussion group:

It seems that there is now a very easy way to install ChromeVox under
Linux without sighted help.
Basically, download the following file:
http://the-brannons.com/kgejglhpjiefppelpmljglcjbhoiplfn.json
And put it in a particular directory.
I'm running chromium, and for me, that directory is
/usr/lib/chromium-browser/extensions.  If I were running chrome instead,
it would be /opt/google/chrome/extensions.
I'm running chromium on Gentoo, and I have no idea whether these paths
are distro specific.  You may also need to create the extensions/
directory.  I had to do that.
Once the file is copied, just start chromium or chrome, and
chromevox *should* start talking!
I don't know if this can be used for older versions of chrome /
chromium.  For what it's worth, chromium 29.0.1547.32 is installed here.
In any case, I'm finally able to do an eyes-free install of chromevox
under Linux!

Thanks to "floppym" for showing me how to do this.

-- Chris