solved, was: Re: speakup goes oops/bye-bye on wheezy

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Thu Jul 4 23:15:38 EDT 2013

Ok, I seem to have things fixed for the most part. Let me recap
solutions from both the speakup crashing thread, and the whole
pulseaudio/gnome issues for anyone else who comes across this running
into the same sort of issues.

First, as Chris mentioned, the speakup crash is caused by starting
speakup with the quiet parameter. I will put reporting this to the
debian folks on my todo list, but that's full ATM with more pressing
stuff.

Ok, as for pulseaudio, like I said before, I did a fresh install of
wheezy, and transplanted /etc/pulse/ and /etc/default/pulseaudio from
there to my upgraded system.

Ok, as for the gnome problems, it might have been one of two
things. First, I completely purged all of gnome, and xorg from the
upgraded system, having done a backup of the .vdi file first. It got
purged so completely that it got rid of espeak along with
mplayer. Having ssh access helped get speech working again here. After
that I reinstalled the desktop task. Still no joy though.

I then created a new user on the system, which I did once before
getting rid of x, and ran startx under that user. this time, things
seem to launch fine, which wasn't the case before removing x. I then
got the idea to run rgrep on everything in greg's home directory
searching for "gail-gnome" since I was still getting that error. I
turned up this in /home/greg/.bash_profile from way back:

export GTK_MODULES=gail:atk-bridge:gail-gnome

Getting rid of "gail-gnome" from the end of that line, logging out,
and then back in got orca talking. The moral seems to be that it helps
to have a look at your .bash_profile once in a while. I don't know if
this by itself fixed it though, since my new test user was having x
errors before I reinstalled x. The fix was probably a combination of
installing x from scratch, and editing that line.

The only thing I still don't have working is a talking gdm. Yes, I
followed the instructions posted here a while back on getting that
talking. The problem seems to be somewhere between espeak and
speech-dispatcher. I get this towards the end of my
/var/lib/gdm3/.speech-dispatcher/log/speech-dispatcher.log:

[Thu Jul  4 18:40:17 2013 : 601036] speechd: write() error: Bad file
descriptor
[Thu Jul  4 18:40:17 2013 : 601069] speechd:  ERROR: Can't report
index mark!

It repeats and repeats. I googled of course, but while there are
others having the same problem, there again don't seem to be any
answers. The speech-dispatcher log file shows espeak started fine, and
espeak.log is empty. Not a big deal, since I can login to gnome
without speech. Thanks again to those of who you responded to these
two threads for your input.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net