Debian and ALSA/Pulseaudio

Robert Spangler spangler.robert at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 20:34:13 EST 2013

Hello all,

I installed Debian Squeeze then later updated it to testing to get the
newer gnome, Orca, and such.  Now, when I reboot, I get into gnome and
Orca is working well but when I switch to another console, I have no
sound.  I think that Pulseaudio is taking over aLSA or something because
I hear Speakup reading the init script messages when the system is
booting and if I reboot it reads the shutdown messages.

I pulled up gnome-terminal and sent some text to espeak and got a few
errors with alsalib and something about how it couldn't find a jack
server running.  I'm glad to have Gnome and Orca running but I want
access to other consoles with speakup as well.

--
Thanks,
Robert Spangler, B.A. in Urban Studies and Spanish
spangler.robert at gmail.com