CLI, accessing another drive

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Mon Jan 7 00:47:33 EST 2013

On Sun, Jan 06, 2013 at 11:05:05PM -0600, Glenn wrote:
> Hi,
> I know that other drives are devices such as /dev/sdb, or /dev/hdc, and the
> like.
> But I am messing with Arch Linux, with Speakup, and I want to install Voxin,
> and I will plug in a thumb drive, it will probably be /dev/sdd.
> can I just work my way to the folder in Arch that I want to put the install
> file, and do something like:
> cp /dev/sdd/voxin-enu-4.3.tgz
> and bring it in?

If you do what you wrote above, cp will tell you the destination
argument is missing or something like that. What you're proposing
wouldn't work anyway, even if you did provide the destination. In
GNU/Linux devices are referred to as files. So, /dev/sdd is a name for
your flash drive. You need to mount the contents of that device onto a
directory under /, then you can use the cp command. I would suggest
you do some reading up on the basics (use your favorite search
engine). Also, have a look at the mount(8) manual
page.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn.net