Questions about new Linux setups

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 11:51:47 EST 2013

I run Arch here, and I love it. It starts out in the command line
environment, and you can add only what you want to it, including full
GNOME if you want. The Pacman packaging system is quite powerful, and
few packages actually need to be built from source manually.
Documentation is also very extensive and kept up-to-date for the most
part. I highly recommend Arch for anyone who has some command line
knowledge to get started and wants to maintain a mostly stable but also
up-to-date system.

As for speech, I am not aware of any hardware speech that works with
Orca, the GNOME screen reader. You can use eSpeak, eSpeak with Mbrola
voices, Flite (only the Kal voice I believe), and there are a couple of
ways to get Pico (the Android 2.3 voice) working. I can't recommend the
synthesizer you know by the name Eloquence, as it goes by many other
names and appears to be licensed and relicensed, sold and resold by many
different companies, but no one seems to have the source code to fix all
the terrible bugs, e.g. crashes on common typos, etc, and no one can
rebuild it to be compatible with the current C libraries and such.
Therefore, there is no 64-bit version of it, and it requires C libraries
that are over 10 years old, which can introduce many security and
stability issues into your new system. There are, however, other
non-free speech synthesizers you can purchase if you don't like any of
the free software options, most of which are kept updated and are
compatible with more modern systems, but someone else may need to fill
you in about those, because I only keep up with the free/open source
voices. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--