creating a speakup cli cd

Don Raikes DON.RAIKES at ORACLE.COM
Thu Feb 7 14:22:16 EST 2013

Vinux is still in production at:

http://www.vinux-project.org

They are working on getting ubuntu precise to work better for the visually impaired.

As for debian,  I got squeeze installed and installed espeakup nad Speakup-tools, but can't get Speakup to start.

After boot and login, I run:

Modprobe Speakup_soft
Espeakup

But I keep being told that the jack server is not started.  So far I haven't found any information about how to start it.

Unfortunately, I am discovering that squeeze doesn't include a couple of the packages I need for my livecd like dc3dd and the latest ewf-tools.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott D. Henning [mailto:shenning at durango.net]
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2013 12:09 PM
To: Speakup is a screen review system for Linux.
Subject: Re: creating a speakup cli cd

Thank you for the discussion concerning live cds and philosophy. It is valuable and thought provoking. I have tried several live cds looking for speakup, but not Debian. Yet. Thats what I will try next. In a perfect world, all operating systems would speak from boot and let the sighted turn it off with a click. Even W****. Of course it is not a perfect world.

I believe a Vinux maintainer is a student at CAVI, the tech school for the blind. It sounded like Vinux is still supported based on his student introduction.

Scott

Scott

--
Scott D. Henning