Speakup-enabling recovery or administrative distributions

Gregory Nowak greg at gregn.net
Sun Dec 1 17:55:15 EST 2013

Hi. As far as systemrescuecd goes, all you would probably need to do
is to include sound modules in the kernel, and install
espeakup/alsa-utils like Kyle already said. Systemrescuecd is
gentoo-based. There is a chapter on customizing systemrescuecd in the
systemrescuecd manual:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_How_to_personalize_SystemRescueCd

It's unfortunate that we don't have software speech in
systemrescuecd. Francois insists that including sound modules and
alsa-utils would make the iso too big, and he wants to keep it to a
minimum. Since grml does what I need it to do so far, I've switched to
using that on systems without serial ports, and haven't considered
forking systemrescuecd, since I personally had no need to do so. Hope
that helps somewhat.

Greg

On Sun, Dec 01, 2013 at 04:43:23PM -0500, Techswing33 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm wanting to use Speakup/Espeakup to enable speech in what are for
> me now inaccessible circumstances.
>
> The first is when using a distro for secure wiping a hard disk called
> Derick's Boot and Nuke, DBAN. I've got a bunch of drives in both
> personal and professional capacity that I need to securely erase prior
> to sending them out.
>
> The second circumstance is to enable speech on a distro called System
> Rescue CD, for doing low level tasks on various Linux and Windows
> boxes, resetting or clearing passwords, backing up partition
> configurations, comes immediately to mind.
>
> I'd like to remaster both of these distros, DBAN, and System Rescue
> CD, with Speakup included. My emphasis will be software speech with
> espeakup because I do not have a hardware synthesizer, so integrating
> audio support would also be essential.
>
> If anyone has done this i'd appreciate any help/pointers.
>
> Thanks.
> Dave.

web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc