trying again, new talking arch and audio problems

Kyle kyle4jesus at gmail.com
Wed Aug 14 10:08:17 EDT 2013

When typing

espeak hello

Do you hear "hello" at all, or do you only get the errors? For some
reason, Espeak will many times produce a whole host of strange-looking
alsa errors, but it still talks. This especially causes problems in
Debian Wheezy if you have installed a desktop environment, as Espeak
speaks all the errors that are printed to the console as GDM begins
running, so the user is forced to go into a text console to stop it
prior to logging into GDM. However, on a Talking Arch system, the errors
can generally be safely ignored, as long as Espeak is in fact talking.
Most of the time, the espeakup system service will log the harmless
errors rather than printing all that chatter to the console. If the
harmless errors I refer to are in fact not harmless, e.g. Espeak simply
doesn't talk, please write back, and I will dig a bit deeper into the
problem if I can. Hope this helps.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/
--