google voice from the command line works like a dream

Doug Smith savant-technopath at cyber-wizard.com
Mon Aug 12 19:28:04 EDT 2013

I have some good news that might interest some of you on here.  Recently, I have been trying to get as much functionality back into a cli system as
possible.  The ultimate objective of this is to make it not necessary to use a gui on a Linux system at all.  If I get it all working I will be glat
to let everyone on here know about it.  For now, I have finally found out how to make google voice calls from the command line and I really love it.
My girlfriend, who is  not a geek like myself really took to this like a fish to water.

Unfortunately, this only works in the U.S. and Canada, so it might not benefit everyone on here.  However, for the benefit of our U.S. and Canadian
friends who might want to do this here it is.

To get the google voice functionality on the command line, do all this:

1. Install linphone-nogtk, available in your distro's package repository.  For pure Debian, for Sonar, and for Vinux or any Debian or Ubuntu
derivatives, do an apt-get install linphone-nogtk

It might be called linphone-nox in some repositories.

2. Go to the sign up page at

http://www.linphone.org

and set up a free sip account.

3. go to

http://www.ipkall.com

and set up a free account there.  This gives you the incoming side for the calls you will be making and placing.  It gives you a Washington state
phone number, but that doesn't matter, other than the fact I really appreciate those people for being so kind as to give of their phone numbers and
resources.  You will need to remember the credentials given to you by linphone.org at this point, because you need to link the ipkall number to the
linphone account.

4. If you don't have one, go to

http://www.google.com/voice and create an account there.  It might be easier on

http://www.google.com/voice/m

which is the mobile site and I find some of the pages on the desktop version rather inaccessible.  You will need to be sure to use the ipkall number
as the forwarding phone so that calls coming in from the google voice side will reach you on linphone.

You will have to go through all the steps there including varification of the phone.  If the ipkall number is linked to another google voice account,
you will have to go back and get another one.  You will have to delete the first ipkall account and set up a fresh one.  You will also need a google
voice number if you don't have one.

I will not go through the steps of setting up linphone and getting the configuration exactly right, but if you need help, I can help you off list to
get it going.  This will have to be done before google can varify the number unless you use a cell phone varification instead.

When you get all this running you should get this:

https://github.com/pettazz/pygooglevoice.git

This is the new version of pygooglevoice with all the fixes.  When you have the zip archive, do this:

unzip filename.zip where this is the name of the archive you just pulled down.  Then

cd pygooglevoice-master
Then, as root do this:

python setup.py install

and wait a few seconds while everything is built and installed.  There is information in the archive about how to use everything, and that is beyond
the scope of this.

I hope this will benefit some of you.  If you need help, you can contact me off list and I will be glad to help you.  This even includes the
possibility that I have left out a step along the way.  I hope this is complete.

Well, that's about it.  If you need any help, contact me off list and i will be glad to get this going for you.

Hope this helps.

--
Doug Smith: Special Agent
S.W.A.T  Spiritual Warfare and Advanced Technology