Dumb post to the Stargardts Facebook group

Don Raikes don.raikes at oracle.com
Mon Apr 8 13:07:02 EDT 2013

Hi all,

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in.

I went blind at the age  of 8 years old due to  a sinus infection that went untereated.

I went to our state school for the blind for 3rd - 5th grades and was then mainstreamed into the public schools.

Due to religious beliefs my parents never really accepted my blindness, but were supportive of anything I tried.

In highschool I was not only in the top 20 in my class of 600, but marched in the marching band, and was introduced to computers there.

I went to college got my B.S. in management information systems, and have been working in the computer industry since then.  I have worked for small companies (3-20 employees) and huge ones (10,000-100,000 employees).

Now at age 52, I am enrolling in a masters program to get my degree in cyber security (pending acceptance of my application).

I have had the good fortune of being able to work from home for the last almost 20 years, although I spent the first 12 years of my work life actually going into the workplace.

I have had to break down a lot of barriers in my 30 years of working.  I was one of Oracle's first full-time telecommutor employees, but that has worked well especially since my customer base has been world-wide.

Sure I get frustrated when my screenreader(s) don't cooperate and I can't do my work, but eventually I find a solution and things get back to normal.

Now on to whatever hardware/software challenge lies ahead for me!