Screen help

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 3 04:49:05 EDT 2013

Thanks.  Yes, this is perfect.  I still want screen to start when I login as
a normal user, but exec does what I want.  That way, I can still su to root
and exit my root shell without logging out.  What used to be four presses of
^D now only takes one or two.  Perfect!  It even closes my Cygwin window
which is what I want.  I had no idea it was that simple.  Now I exec ssh
from Cygwin.

The -d and -R switches to screen are also what I wanted.  That way a new
screen launches when I connect if I didn't detach from my previous session
but re-attaches if there is already a detached session.  Perfect!  I knewe
there was a way to do what I wanted, but I wasn't sure how.