Screen help

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Apr 1 02:36:10 EDT 2013

Tony Baechler  <speakup at linux-speakup.org> wrote:

>I'll try that, but that isn't what I want.  I just want to use ^D as normal
>to log out.  I don't need to detach most of the time.

Have you considered writing a script that runs openvt to create lots of
virtual consoles that execute login shells under your user id? (For that
matter, you could have them execute whatever commands you wish.)

If you want to access them remotely you can run conspy.

This won't give you all of the features of screen(1), but it offers many of
them while relying only on Linux virtual consoles.