talking arch installation

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sun Sep 23 18:35:23 EDT 2012

I partly used the beginner's guide on the arch wiki to do this.
Deviations from those instructions included Chris Brannon's talking arch
instructions and some others. I installed linux-lts since all of the
speakup keys work with that kernel learned about on the arch-general email
list.  I installed a separate /boot partition of 50MB which enabled
everything finally to come up talking.  I installed syslinux as a boot
loader and did edits on /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg.  I pointed everything
toward linux-lts rather than linux.  I had to do another edit me and
several others found strange too.  Partitions were marked read only ro in
syslinux.cfg and I found it necessary to change those to rw since the
system in its boot process failed to do so even after 8 hours of leaving
the system alone on a boot up.  Finally it makes no difference on a boot
up how long you let the system alone, arch only starts talking after the
enter key is hit with syslinux.  Having tried installations with both grub
and lilo, I couldn't get either talking, so syslinux for me on arch linux
has proven to be the way to a talking arch.  Interestingly, syslinux.cfg
is the only configuration file needed to be configured in a syslinux
installation.  The rest of the instructions in the beginner's guide worked
without problems over here on an amd k8 athelon machine.  I've had good
luck with archlinux in the past the last time it was on a disk it ran
problem free for a year.